I have mixed feelings about making New Year's resolutions. So often I have good intentions, but everything seems to fall apart around February. Or the goals I set are too vague or not realistic. Or maybe I make too darn many and get overwhelmed. The key, I think, to making resolutions and setting goals that are attainable include:
- Making only a handful--too many and it's hard to focus.
- Make specific resolutions and remember to include the steps needed to attain each goal. "Get healthy," for instance, can be broken down into smaller steps such as "Commit to an aerobics class twice a week" and "Don't eat an entire bag of chips while sitting on the couch.."
- Write down goals along with plans for achieving them and refer to the list often.
- Spread resolutions out over the course of the year to avoid burnout.
- Be patient! I found that it took about ten weeks of consistently going to the gym before I really saw any results.
So what are mine? I've broken them down into three categories with three goals for each.
- I'd like to read more to my four year old, so we went to the library and spent the afternoon snuggled up on the couch with books. And I enjoyed our time together so much that I didn't think about how dirty the house was or how I wanted to check my email.
- Be more proactive about checking over my eight year old's homework and making sure he does his math exercises and his reading.
- I've made a chore chart for the kids, which is a good start, but I'd like to be more consistent about actually making them do the chores. How much easier is it to clean up yourself instead of nagging your kids to do it??!?!?!
- I love to read, but too often I'm vegged out in front of the TV or reading blogs or pinning.... Less screen time, more book time!
- Be more organized. Create and stick with a cleaning schedule so the house doesn't get out of hand. Here's a great post regarding cleaning schedules from Little Green Notebook's Jenny Komenda.
- Under the "be more organized" umbrella, is to plan meals and shopping lists ahead of time and keep track of coupons so that I have them when I need them and use them before they expire.
- This year, I'd like to be more consistent with blog posts, so I'll create a schedule and calendar for posting.
- I'd like to learn more about the technical aspects of blogging so I'm planning to sign up for decor8's eclass in March. Can't wait!
- I have a DSLR camera along with a new 35 mm lens...and barely any idea how to use them. So, I signed up for Kevin Palmer's Shoot Fly Shoot photography ecourse.
- Ugh...this list could go on forever. But to start, I ordered burlap for bedroom curtains and have yet to sew them. Need to get on that!
- I'd like to paint the family room and kitchen as well as our stairwell and hallway.
- Paint/remodel the master bath.